A. General Information
ORFEUS (Open Railway Freight EDI User System)- European electronic information exchange system for railway freight
B. Lessons Learned
ORFEUS is an information system developed and operated by Raildata, for development and production of central information and data exchange systems for European rail freight transport. ORFEUS system provides exchange of CIM consignment notes and CUV wagon notes data between railway operators using a Central Data System (CDS).
• Central part CDS (Central Data-management System). It acts as a message broker for collection and distribution of information, including specific logic and verifications.
• National Information Systems (NISes) of connected railway operators.
The ORFEUS technology is used by railway companies in Czech Republic, Luxembourg, Sweden, Croatia, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, Belgium, France, Italy.
The need for railways to restructure their technological and management practices to respond to market demand for highly reliable and flexible freight transportation services.
Efficientdata exchange with authorities (customs).
Railway Undertakings send data content of the consignment/wagon notes to ORFEUS, which distributes these data to other carriers involved in the transport. The CIM/CUV notes in paper form exist and accompany the wagons still.
Data Exchange is performed as above, but the data fulfil the role of the Electronic Consignment Note (ECN). There is no paper note issued nor transported anymore.
CIM consignment notes and CUV wagon notes
Incompatibility of data standards
Challenges related to electronic exchange between railways and customs.
Incompatibility of codification of goods.
-Single communication system for all business cases an operator can find
• Improved communication and process coordination between railway operators and infrastructure managers (in terms of quality and speed)
• Single standardized way of working, providing cost savings through better management quality system; establishment of homogeneous procedures; reduction in system maintenance costs
• Standardized and interoperable communication interface
Solve the shortcomings identified during the project implementation
Using new TAF location code structures
Simplifies integrity and acceptance rules for processing of received messages.
Adds new customs procedures codes of the CIM consignment note.
Electronic Information Exchange System for Railway Freight.pdf (unescap.org)
C. Relevant Standards